© 2016 Kebba Buckley Button, MS, OM. World Rights Reserved.
With the virtual tsunami of health advice splashing into our email, magazines, and TV news, people have started feeling overwhelmed by information and advice: even as a holistic stress/energy expert, I say, “Worry less about your health!” There is a lot of conflicting information out there. There are also a lot of early results from unqualified studies, which doesn’t make those results valid. And many results are reported as if they apply to everyone, not the specific group the study was testing (i.e., forgetful diabetics with freckles and psoriasis).
So yes! Maybe it’s time we lightened up a bit. What if we took generally good care of ourselves and laughed more? That would put us firmly in the range of Upbeat Livingsm.
And how do we get there? Let’s look at stress differently. A general effect of stress is the lowered production of DHEA, dehydroepiandrosterone, the master hormone. That makes you tired and flat-brained. However, your own body makes DHEA whenever you are in a bliss state. Then you feel less stressed! I have previously written about how you can increase your own DHEA (http://wp.me/pw4HM-oc ). One of those ways is lightening up and even laughing.
Advice from an unknown author, often quoted in emails is:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Chardonnay in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ‘WOO-HOO, what a ride!!’
That writer is talking about ramping up your joyful, adventuring side, which will net you very high serum (in your blood, measured with a blood test) DHEA!
Now here is an amusing piece that circulates the Internet. It’s funny, it’s thought-provoking, and I’ll give you the correct information after you quit laughing:
For those of you who watch what you eat, here’s the final word on nutrition and health. It’s a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies.
- The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
- The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
- The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
- The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans…
- The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.
CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you!
Wasn’t that fun? Now here are the actual rankings of those countries, in coronary heart disease deaths per 100,000: China 99, Mexico 80, US 77, Germany 63, Italy 48, Japan 30, France 30.
This shows us a few things, primarily that we shouldn’t get our health care information from cute emails circulating the Internet. You have a right to the best life you can put together. So laugh, read the article on DHEA, and pump up your pzazz with laughter and bliss. And worry less about your health! And that’s Upbeat Living!
- If you enjoy this post, please click “like” in the FB widget in the right hand column. You’ll have our undying gratitude plus a huge rise in your Good Karma! Due to a recent FB change, our “likes” look low. Thanks for your help!
- Kebba Buckley Button is a stress management expert. She also has a natural healing practice and is an ordained minister. She is the author of the award-winning book, Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br), plus the 2013 book, Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core, Second Edition(http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc ). Her newest book is Sacred Meditation: Embracing the Divine, available through her office. Just email SacredMeditation@kebba.com.
- For an appointment or to ask Kebba to speak for your group: firstname.lastname@example.org .