© 2015 Kebba Buckley Button, MS, OM. World Rights Reserved.
Colds feel bad and stress you out. Colds keep you from doing the things you would rather do. But take heart! Today, there are more ways than ever to help yourself beat a cold—inexpensively. I recommend using ways that strengthen your system, allowing you to rise out of the illness, sometimes stronger than before. A cold is a virus and won’t respond to an antibiotic. So don’t think about using an antibiotic, unless your doctor says you have a secondary bacterial infection.
Secret #1: Make sure you don’t have the flu. Severe muscle aches say flu (influenza), probably not a cold. Call your doctor now. New antiviral prescriptions that may help you. Also, if you have special medical conditions and should call your doctor in case of cold/flu symptoms, do that immediately. Every doctor’s office has 24-hour paging or emergency numbers. If you are sure you have the flu, and you prefer a homeopathic remedy, you may want to try Oscillococcinum from your health food store (under $15). Dissolved under the tongue, this is very effective for many.
Secret #2: Support your body with rest, fluids, and soaking. Get extra rest. Drink lots of water and soup–alcohol is generally not helpful for a cold. Take a hot bath, at the “ahhhhh” temperature for you, which may be about 103 degrees F. Add 2 cups, or a one-pound box, of Epsom salts and set a timer so you stay in for at least 20 minutes. If you are concerned about your tub’s jets being hurt by the Epsom salts, dissolve them before adding to the tub, or buy your Epsom salts in liquid form. Most drug stores and grocery stores have both forms.
Secret #3: Treat a sore throat with natural gargle. If your throat hurts, mix salt and baking soda in equal proportions in a small storage jar; use a teaspoon of mix in a glass of pleasantly hot water, and gargle thoroughly. Making deep tones while you gargle will help the liquid reach further into the back of the throat.
Secret #4: Try a homeopathic remedy. A popular one for colds is Coldcalm, made by the same company as Oscillococcinum for flu. Just follow the package directions.
Being ill is one of the greatest pleasures of life, provided one is not too ill and not obliged to work until one is better.
~ Samuel Butler
Secret #5: Bolster yourself with nutritional helps. These are cheap and can strengthen your immune system to beat the cold virus quickly.
- Drink black or green tea, with minimally processed honey in it. The tea contains heart-healthy compounds and the honey contains many enzymes and other energizing nutritional components. Get organic tea, loose or in non-paper bags. The chlorine in the paper may give some people joint pain.
- Eat yang foods. In Chinese medicine, a cold is a “yin” condition, so adding “yang” foods to your body will make you feel much better and literally make you more vital, right away. Keep warm (yang) and drink your tea or soup warm. Stir a little ginger powder into that tea or chicken soup. You probably have ginger powder in your spice rack. Or use ginger extract drops from your health food store.
- Try Vitamin C with bioflavonoids. One highly absorbable form is the widely available “Emergen-C”, available in most grocery stores and drugstores in many flavors; the small packets contain ascorbate compounds of Vitamin C, B complex, and minerals. Related popular products include “Cold-Eeze” and “Airborne”. Try different formulas to find the one/s you like best. Most pharmacies now carry these.
- Soluble B-12 with folic acid and B-6 is also widely available now.
- Eat fresh fruit, not frozen or canned if possible, due to the loss of nutrition and vital life force energy in processing. The colors represent the natural bioflavonoids. Add fresh lemon to your tea.
- Herbal drops are widely available for strengthening the immune functions. Separately or in combined drops, these may include: astragalus, echinacea, goldenseal, shitake or reishi mushroom, fresh red root, licorice root, and suma root.
Secret #6: Get some energy therapy. Jin Shin Jyutsu and Reiki can be very powerful for harmonizing your system right out of a cold. You’ll finish this cold and come out on a higher vitality level than you went into it with. Then let me know what worked best for you!
If you enjoy this post, please click “like” in the FB widget in the right hand column. You’ll have our undying gratitude plus a huge rise in your Good Karma! Due to a recent FB change, our “likes” look low. Thanks for your help!
- Kebba Buckley Button is a stress management expert. She also has a natural healing practice and is an ordained minister. She is the author of the award-winning book, Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br), plus the 2013 book, Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core, Second Edition(http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc ). Her newest book is Sacred Meditation: Embracing the Divine, available through her office. Just email SacredMeditation@kebba.com.
- For an appointment or to ask Kebba to speak for your group: firstname.lastname@example.org .