© 2015 Kebba Buckley Button, MS, OM. World Rights Reserved.
Have you ever been cruising along, enjoying your day, at one with Life, and feeling, without trying, that all is right with the World? You’re deep in your Peace Within. And then:
- An angry person blasts you with a vicious email or memo
- A family member blows in, massively upset about a conflict at work
- A neighbor’s dog is suddenly barking loudly and insistently for at least a half hour now
- While you’re commuting and almost home, a driver rear-ends you
Your serenity is shattered. Your heart is racing. Your mind has gone blank and you can’t concentrate. This is it: you’re about to catch stress from someone else. What can you do to shed this stress? If you don’t have your own system, try these top tips:
- Drop your shoulders and exhale. Do this three times. Notice your heart calming.
- Place your right hand over your heart and your left on your mid-back, if you can reach it. Notice your body calming more deeply.
- Think of how peaceful you felt right before this happened, and call that serenity back.
- Take 2 squirts of Bach Rescue Remedy spray (available at most health food stores or from SwansonVitamins.com; keep Rescue Remedy in your home, desk, purse, and briefcase for rough days and sudden jolts).
Stress is basically a disconnection from the earth, a forgetting of the breath. Stress is an ignorant state. It believes that everything is an emergency. Nothing is that important. Just lie down.
~ Natalie Goldberg
Now you should feel cool enough to carry on with the most reasonable strategy for the jolting situation. Do your best. Keep exhaling.
- This stress wasn’t yours before the jolt, and it doesn’t have to be yours now.
- Don’t move your consciousness into the center of the stress. Stay in your own mental space while considering it.
- Whatever it is, this too shall pass.
Yes, stress can be contagious. You can catch it from others. But you can get over it, too, and get back to your Peace Within.
- If you enjoy this post, please click “like” in the FB widget in the right hand column! You’ll have our undying gratitude plus a huge rise in your Good Karma! Due to a recent FB change, our “likes” look low. Thanks for your help!
- Kebba Buckley Button is a stress management expert. She also has a natural healing practice and is an ordained minister. She is the author of the award-winning book, Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br), plus the 2013 book, Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core, Second Edition(http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc ). Her newest book is Sacred Meditation: Embracing the Divine, available through her office. Just email SacredMeditation@kebba.com.
- For an appointment or to ask Kebba to speak for your group: firstname.lastname@example.org .