©2016 Kebba Buckley Button, MS, OM. World Rights Reserved.
Let’s be honest: almost all of us have experienced Wake-up Stress! It can be hard to get out of bed! Most of us resist getting up when we know we need to, to get to work or to meet other responsibilities. The Upbeat Livingsm philosophy is to make the most of our lives in every way, including on a daily basis, beginning with rising. Fortunately, adding positive daystarters can end your resistance to rising and get you off to a pleasant and powerful day. Here are 7 of the best daystarters:
- Pick your wake-up time by your body’s clock, if possible. In Chinese medicine, 6 am is the perfect time to rise, as the large intestine wants to activate. It’s time to go to the bathroom and release solids easily. You’ll be more awake if you get up when your intestines want to get going.
- Use an alarm ringtone that stimulates without startling. Classic alarm-clock ringing is coarse and would startle anyone. Air raid sirens are too much. How about some Chopin or Bach chamber music (on your smartphone alarm utility), trills, or soft rock? Experiment to find out which sounds give you a boost rather than a jolt.
- If you really hate starting the day, when the alarm goes off, immediately say, “I’m getting up and making it a great day!” You’ll be amazed at how different you feel.
- If your metabolism is very sluggish, find an alarm light that glows more and more brightly over a half hour, prior to your alarm going off. The light will stimulate your brain and help your system get moving.
- Once out of bed, as early as possible, greet the Divine or read a positive script to yourself. Affirm your positive place in a positive and supportive universe. Paul Valery said,
The best way to make your dreams come true
is to wake up.
- Eat the right breakfast, for you. Some people are just not hungry when they get up. For these people, a beverage to drink and a protein bar in their pocket for two hours later may be just perfect. Some people really need several ounces of protein and some carbs with their breakfast beverage. For a speedy munch, how about a peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole grain bread or rice cakes? Or, how about at least an ounce of almonds or cashews, 2 pieces of fruit, and some tea? Experiment with the breakfast that fits your metabolism and keeps you going for at least two hours.
- Drink the best breakfast beverage, for you. Notice, I haven’t mentioned coffee until now? Many of us love a cup or two of joe, and we feel really great after having it with breakfast. But not all coffees are created equal, and many people feel best all morning after drinking tea, hot chocolate, lemon water, or a fruit smoothie. Coffee is loaded with antioxidants, not just caffeine. Green and black teas have other beneficial compounds. Both have been shown to have health benefits. And just the heat from a warm beverage can soothe and also stimulate your digestive system, helping you to wake up more. There is so much research on this that we’ll have a separate article on coffee and tea soon. The bottom line is: what beverage works best for you, at breakfast time, and two hours later?
Try these daystarters and soon you’ll be replacing Wake-up Stress with Morning Zip! And that’s Upbeat Living! _____________________________________________________________
- Kebba Buckley Button is a stress management expert. She also has a natural healing practice and is an ordained minister. She is the author of the award-winning book, Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br), plus Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core, Second Edition. Her newest book is Sacred Meditation: Embracing the Divine. Both that book and Peace Within are available through her office. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For an appointment or to ask Kebba to speak for your group: email@example.com.