© 2021 Kebba Buckley Button, MS, OM
Do you ever struggle to wake up and get going? Are you just thinking of surviving the wakeup process, let alone thriving during the day? My father said he never really woke up before about 10 am. It was his metabolism, his internal clock. Here are some of the best tips I use to make sure I get going so I can make it a great day. You may want to try one, or two of these daystarters, or all of them!
- Wake up at 6 am or when your — um– solids move. You’re working with the clock from Chinese medicine and will be more awake all day if you do this.
- Make your alarm sound pleasant. Waking up by smartphone? You have many choices of tones.
- If you feel tired or resistant, make a positive statement. Try: “We’re making it a great day!” Or, if you are a Christian, try, “In Jesus’ name I pray, let’s make it a great day!” Write your own declaration.
- Get an alarm light that glows more and more brightly over a half hour, prior to your alarm going off. The light will stimulate your brain and help your system get moving.
- Envision what a joy-filled, healthy, effective day you are stepping into. Take 1 minute to do this.
- Eat the right breakfast, for you. Some people are just not hungry when they get up; they may want to eat when they do get hungry, or have a protein drink now. How about an ounce of almonds or cashews, a piece of fruit, and some tea? I always wake up ready for a big breakfast with lots of protein. Experiment with the breakfast that fits your metabolism and keeps you going for at least two hours.
- Drink the best breakfast beverage, for you. Many of us love a cup or two of joe, and we feel really great after having it with breakfast. But not all coffees are created equal, and many people feel best all morning after drinking tea, hot chocolate, lemon water, or a fruit smoothie. Coffee is loaded with antioxidants, not just caffeine. Green and black teas have other beneficial compounds. There is so much research on this that we’ll have a separate article on coffee and tea soon. The bottom line is: what beverage works best for you, to feel your best at breakfast time, and two hours later?
Try incorporating these tips one by one, and notice how much better your days run. And that’s you: ever more Healthy Happy Loving Lifesm! Are you in?
Kebba Buckley Button is a stress management expert, holistic healer, and award-winning author who celebrates life. She has a longtime natural healing practice and is an ordained minister. Among her books are: Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br), Inspirations for Peace Within: Quotes and Images to Uplift and Inspire, and Sacred Meditation: Embracing the Divine. The books are available on Amazon and through Kebba’s office. To email us, firstname.lastname@example.org .