© 2016 Kebba Buckley Button, MS, OM. World Rights Reserved.
Here are top tips for beating Renovation Stress! Yes, you’ll be keeping your cool in the heat of renovations! Your goal will be feeling energized and feeling good and being pleasant, while the shape and order of your home is going gaga. Take it from me: we just had most of the carpet in our home replaced. What an adventure! We learned a lot. Anything you normally reach for will not be where it normally is. It’s noisy, stinky, and messy. So try these top tips to stay sane:
- Plan an R&R spot where you can sit/rest/sip/munch/make calls/check email. This will be out of the noise/dust/bustle of the renovation project. It also gets your sweet little feet off the new carpet or tile, if that’s what you’re having done. Defend this spot, since you definitely will need rest breaks. The photo above shows Hunky Husband reclining in his own recliner, but outside in the Feng Shui Garden.
- Have a supply of cold water, in the refrigerator or in our RRS. Have enough to share with any workers or volunteers. Drink plenty of water.
- Have healthy, tasty snacks pre-made. Don’t count on having the time and motivation to run out to get lunch to go. Or knowing where your car keys are. See #4.
- Have a box or tote in which you toss your favorite electronics—phone, iPad, laptop—and their chargers, your checkbook, your purse, your keys, and the bills you need to pay today. Also put your primary calendar in this box.
- Get clean flatpack bankers’ boxes from your nearby office supplies store. We used 35 of them to pack for a flooring job for half our house. This style stacks well and invites labeling. Mark each one with your code for the room they came from, i.e., LR for Living Room and BR for Bedroom. The boxes slide easily along your floor, if you decide you want the stack in a different place. You can also easily fill them with things to toss or donate, as you unpack.
- Box any delicate items, such as wineglasses and trophies, carefully. Use your hand towel collection and remember, a décor basket counts as a box.
- After the carpet/tile/paint is installed, start unpacking. Notice how you love the spare look of each clean room with no Stuff in it!? How much less Stuff would you like to own—30%? Then discard/recycle/shred/put in donation boxes about a third of everything you would be unpacking
- Enjoy your improved, clean and cleared space!
Notice how happy you are now? And how much more energy you have? And how much less allergy you have? And how free you feel? Now that’s Upbeat Livingsm!
- Kebba Buckley Button is a stress management expert. She also has a natural healing practice and is an ordained minister. She is the author of the award-winning book, Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br), plus the 2013 book, Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core, Second Edition(http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc ). Her newest book is Sacred Meditation: Embracing the Divine, available through her office. Just email SacredMeditation@kebba.com.
- For an appointment or to ask Kebba to speak for your group: firstname.lastname@example.org .