© 2015 Kebba Buckley Button, MS, OM. World Rights Reserved.
It’s the dread Deadline Stress again! With your deadline looming, you’re sitting at your computer or iPad or with your yellow pad, and the words aren’t coming. You know your topic and everything about the piece. But the moments are slipping away, and still the words aren’t getting into the article. You’re really stuck!
Most advice about writers’ block is all about using your thoughts to control your thoughts. But that won’t work when your brain is stuck, and you can’t grasp your thoughts in order to control your thoughts! Your brain is depleted right now.
So don’t use your mind! Use these physical brain boosts to get yourself going. Here are three of my favorites:
- The Shoulder Shift. Roll your shoulders up and forward, then around, slowly, stretching, for one minute. Watch the clock. No cheating. Now roll the shoulders up and back and around, slowly, stretching, for one minute. Notice the warming in your ankles and feet. You have now opened up the circulation to the whole body, and you’ll feel it in the brain in one minute. Notice a warming sensation flowing up the back of your neck. This is energy, and it’s recharging your energy-starved brain. You may notice your mood changing already, with positive emotions rising. Cool, huh?
- The Chocolate Churnover. Earlier, were you craving chocolate? Now is a great time to munch an ounce of dark chocolate to help your brain. The antioxidants and theobromine in the chocolate will lift your energy and metabolism. Stimulating the tongue and mouth, by eating, lifts the energy of both the Fire- and Earth Meridians. The bitter flavor in the chocolate stimulates the Fire Meridian, and the sweetness energizes the Earth Meridian. If you heat your chocolate in almond- or dairy milk, the warm drink will raise the energy of the entire digestive system, which stimulates brain function, increasing clarity. Also, the potassium in either form of milk will assist brain optimization. Now you have churned your whole energy system, and it is pumping in support of you.
- The Latte Lift. If you love lattes, try this trick first. Get your favorite latte and set a timer for 20 minutes. Drink your delicious liquid, and lie down or relax in your recliner for those 20 minutes. You get a break, and as you’re rising again, the antioxidants and caffeine (or in tea lattes, L-Theanine, theobromine, and theophylline) are just hitting your blood-brain barrier. Now you’re rested and refreshed, yet your blood, oxygen, and energy are flowing well.
Now, your brain has what it needs, and your words will be flowing. You no longer have to dread Deadline Stress! Play around with these brain boosting techniques and make them part of your regular writing practice. You never need to be stuck again. Now you’ll be beating all those deadlines and soaring as the writer you are meant to be.
- Kebba Buckley Button is a stress management expert and award-winning author. She also is an ordained minister and has a natural healing practice. Among her books are: Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br),and Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core, Second Edition(http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc ). Her newest book is Sacred Meditation: Embracing the Divine, available through her office. Just email SacredMeditation@kebba.com.
- Reach the writer at email@example.com.