© 2015 Kebba Buckley Button, MS, OM. World Rights Reserved.
Let’s face it: a lot of pain is caused by stress, but there is also stress from pain. It’s hard to be relaxed and diplomatic in a business negotiation, when you have a crashing headache, or tooth pain, or back pain, or pain from an injury. Of course, there are times to take those over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers, or to take prescription pain medication your doctor has recommended.
However, what if you could quickly relieve your own pain—without drugs? Without drugs, you have no liver stress or stomach stress. And over the 30-plus years of my holistic healing and stress coaching practice, I’ve found a number of ways to relieve pain that are actually faster than taking a pill. I frequently treat clients with energy therapies, such as Jin Shin Jyutsu®, Reiki®, and Healing Touch®, for all kinds of body discomforts. For home use, I developed the simplified list, below. Especially if you are aware that your pains started with stress, these tips may be all you need. And it will cost you nothing to try these techniques.
One note: this article is not intended as medical advice and is not meant to replace your doctor’s advice. These tips are not all-inclusive or comprehensive. If you have serious pain, especially due to a medical condition or surgery, by all means consult your doctor about the compatibility of these techniques, as you can use most of these along with your prescriptions.
- For any pain, exhale to the end of your breath. Allow a reflexive inhalation. Do this twice more. Notice the pain is…less. Let your shoulders drop gently. Repeat.
- For tooth pain, (1) stop consuming sugars. (2) Hold the pain area with one hand while holding the same side outer ankle with the other hand.
- Got knots in your back? They are called “trigger points”, and everyone has them. (1) Try a heating pad for 20 minutes at a time. (2) A hot soak (at the “ahhhh” temperature for you) with at least 2 cups/1pound of Epsom salts, for 20 minutes, will relax the stressed muscles. It will also soak out toxins, replacing the toxins with magnesium, which further relaxes stressed muscles.
- For knots in your back or for tension headaches, roll your shoulders slowly, gently stretching the muscles, for two minutes at a time.
- For overall tight back muscles, sit in a favorite chair and lean slightly forward. Reach those arms forward, stretching, as if you are grasping at an object just out of reach.
- Did you twist an ankle or a wrist? Put ice on it for 20 minutes at a time, for less internal bleeding, more comfort, less swelling, and faster recovery. After 20 minutes, ice will have a stimulating effect, rather than a calming one, so stick with 20 minutes 4 times a day. Keep the injury generally propped up for comfort.
- For minor annoying injuries, ask your health food store for Arnica products, as creams or to take by mouth. But do NOT get Arnica tea. The tea smells so foul, you would remember my name forever, and not kindly. Ask the store for the correct strength of the homeopathic pellets for your issue—strength makes a huge difference.
- Eat your fresh fruits and veggies—yes, salad is veggies! Dark greens and colorful fruits are best. They are loaded with various antioxidants that make your skin, nerve, and muscle tissues all very healthy and disinclined to have pain. Plus, you will heal faster.
- Heal thyself: place your right hand on the injury and your left hand on top of the right hand, to drive energy into the injured area. No pressing. Do this for 10 minutes at a time if you can.
- Think happy, healing thoughts, and see yourself relaxed and fully healthy.
Now get some sleep and call the office if you want an energy balancing session for a tuneup, pain solutions, or to speed your recovery. Stress from pain doesn’t have to drive you crazy or drive you to drugs. You will get through this! And the more you use the tips above, the more you will thrive through this!
- If you enjoy this post, please click “like” in the FB widget in the right hand column! You’ll have our undying gratitude plus a huge rise in your Good Karma! Due to a recent FB change, our “likes” look low. Thanks for your help!
- Kebba Buckley Button is a stress management expert and award-winning author. She also is an ordained minister and has a natural healing practice. Among her books are: Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br),and Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core, Second Edition. Her newest book is Sacred Meditation: Embracing the Divine. Both Peace Within and Sacred Meditation are available through her office. Just email SacredMeditation@kebba.com.
- For an appointment or to ask Kebba to speak for your group: firstname.lastname@example.org .