© 2015 Kebba Buckley Button, MS, OM. World Rights Reserved.
If you are even thinking about boredom, you’re bored. Do these words resonate for you: listless, dull, unmotivated? Having trouble keeping your mind on anything? Yup, you’re bored. But wait!
Let’s sort this out a little. Is this a common feeling for you? Do you need change? What are you really experiencing? Do you feel bored on the job, bored at home, or only bored when you’re with certain friends? Then that’s Life’s way of telling you that you need change, in your job or at home. Or you need new friends. You need newness! You need novelty! You need to be refreshed by something that isn’t the same old same old!
All kinds are good except the kind that bore you.
Now, there is some very good news. Sometimes, you have fake boredom, caused by physical stressors. So get out your journal, or your iPad, and start making lists. Try answering these questions:
- Am I tired?
- Are my clothes too tight?
- Am I frustrated about some large thing, like needing to get a project done, and it seems to go on forever?
- Do I need a snack/beverage/meal?
- Is the air polluted today, or is the weather changing?
- Do I have a comfortable chair or couch on which to relax? Do I need to get one?
- Have I exercised 20 minutes or more today?
Boredom can be Flat Brain Syndrome, either from working too much or being under-challenged. In either case, a novelty break will do wonders for you. Go for a scenic drive. Go to a movie and then walk around the mall. Visit the zoo or hike the Botanical Garden; take pictures of tiny things and of vast panoramas. Go to a Meetup of a group you’ve been considering. Three hours of change will do wonders for your brain and your attitude.
The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
~ Dorothy Parker
If you only have a half-hour to work on your boredom, try just taking a hot shower and styling your hair a fresh way. Then run in place slowly for 2 minutes. Your metabolic energy and cellular oxygen will be circulating anew, and so will your attitude.
Boredom is a sure signal that you need something. Or several somethings. Consult with yourself, start on your list, and bring help to your inner Bored Person. Soon your mood, your energy, and your interest in life will be back. You’ll thank yourself later! And please comment on what you did to conquer your boredom.
- If you enjoy this post, please click “like” in the FB widget in the right hand column! You’ll have our undying gratitude plus a huge rise in your Good Karma! Due to a recent FB change, our “likes” look low. Thanks for your help!
- Kebba Buckley Button is a stress management expert. She also has a natural healing practice and is an ordained minister. She is the author of the award-winning book, Discover The Secret Energized You (http://tinyurl.com/b44v3br), plus the 2013 book, Peace Within: Your Peaceful Inner Core, Second Edition(http://tinyurl.com/mqg3uvc ). Her newest book is Sacred Meditation: Embracing the Divine, available through her office. Just email SacredMeditation@kebba.com.
- For an appointment or to ask Kebba to speak for your group: email@example.com .